The Brühl terrace, the best view of Dresden

Looking out on the "balcony of Europe," as Goethe called it, is one of the activities you cannot miss on your visit to Dresden. Brühl's terrace offers fantastic architecture and the best views of the city on the Elbe river.

Originally, it was built as part of the walls that protected the city. In 1748, during the mandate of King Augustus the Strong, this part of the walls was transformed into a terrace-shaped garden as an extension of his palace.

Years later, the gardens were opened to the public and a staircase was built connecting Brühl's terrace with the Schlossplatz. Along the same line of ornamental motifs throughout Dresden, the staircase was flanked with four bronze sculptures. A sculptural ensemble known as Vier Tageszeiten, Four hours a day.

A little history of Brühl's terrace

Brühl Terrace

Count Heinrich von Brühl owned a palace at the place where the terrace is today. The palace had a library with more than 60,000 volumes, a gallery and adjacent gardens. In 1747 the count gave away the entire terrace in exchange for the introduction of a new tax.

In 1814 the construction of the access stairway for the public was commissioned and the old palace was demolished during construction. But the whole architectural ensemble of Brühl's terrace was destroyed in February 1945, during the bombing of the Allied forces on Germany in the final phase of World War II.

The reconstruction was thorough, to the point of being able to affirm that today Brühl's terrace looks almost exactly the same as it was before its destruction.

Brühl's terrace

Academy of Royal Art - Jörg Blobelt / Wikimedia Commons

Brühl's terrace is an architectural complex that extends along the bank of the Elbe. The name is due, as we said, to Count Heinrich von Brühl, who was the one who ordered the construction of the terrace.

It is composed of several areas of tourist interest. Highlights the state parliament, the Standehaus. It was built in 1900 to replace the original Brühl palace. Its tower is aligned with two others nearby, the Royal Palace and the Hofkirche tower.

The Academy of Royal Art is another place of interest on Brühl's terrace. Built in 1897 in neo-Renaissance style, it replaced the original Brühl library. It is crowned by an imposing dome that holds a golden statue of the goddess of victory, Nike.

The Albertinum is another of Dresden's attractions that can be visited on Brühl's terrace. It is a beautiful neo-Renaissance building that houses three museums: the treasure of the Green Vault, the Gallery of painters of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and a magnificent collection of sculptures and coins.

In front of him is the Brühl Garden. Between the Royal Academy of Art and the Albertinum is the Samper Memorial, a monument erected in honor of J. Schilling, the architect of the Semper Opera.

Strength

Interior of the fortress - Z thomas / Wikimedia Commons

And now is when we reach the open access under the Brühl terrace, where the remains of the fortress are located. They are probably the oldest Renaissance remains in Dresden.

Walking through its mysterious vaults we find an original door of more than 400 years, known as the brick door. You can also visit the guard rooms, medieval defense systems, casemates and the bridge of the old city.

In this place you can see The fortifications of the city of the Renaissance. It is a permanent exhibition that keeps the memory of Friedrich Böttger, the alchemist who discovered here the formula of "white gold", porcelain.

A strategic location

Brühl Terrace

The Brühl terrace is a strategic place in the city of Dresden. The main points of interest of the city are located nearby. Zwinger Palace or the Semper Opera House are very close to the terrace. Also the Dresden castle and the Frauenkirche church.

After a visit to the most emblematic places of this amazing city there is nothing better than reaching Brühl's terrace at sunset. Watching the sunset in one of its cafés is the perfect way to end the day in this German jewel.